You can make this keto chicken tortilla soup in your Instant pot or on a Stovetop. This is a low-carb version of popular Mexican chicken soup with tortillas.
My kids love this keto tortilla soup!
It was a surprise to me, as this is a soup with a variety of spices, so definitely soup with character. However, it's not too spicy, and kids really enjoy it.
Of course, there is always the option to spice it up if you like it. I definitely do that each time because I like it to be a little bit "stronger". 🙂 If you like Mexican flavors and soups, you will love this keto chicken tortilla soup recipe! Plus, this recipe is wonderful for meal prepping because it's incredibly good when reheated.
And an extra bonus if you add some crunchy keto tortilla chips and avocado on top! This shouldn't be optional! 🙂
INGREDIENTS FOR KETO CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP INSTANT POT
For this easy keto Mexican soup, you won't need unicorn dust, actually, these ingredients are quite simple and easy to find. I try to keep my cooking simple, too!
Chicken breast is ideal cut. It takes 20 minutes in the Instant pot to cook until it's easily shreddable. If you're cooking in the slow cooker, you will need 6 to 8 hours. I like using chicken breast with bone because of the extra flavor and all the goodies in bone and cartilage. When I say goodies, I am thinking about collagen and all these amino acids that are great for your skin, bones, and joints, as well as for immunity.
Other crucial ingredients are onion, garlic cloves, red pepper, jalapeno, chopped tomato (canned or freshly chopped), broth or water, and spices. For spices, you will need oregano, paprika, powdered garlic, pepper, cumin, and salt! Not so many ingredients, actually!
What goes good with keto chicken tortilla soup?
Toppings are so important for this soup, please don't skip them! You can be super creative and top it with avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and of course keto tortilla chips! My recipe for keto tortilla chips is so good, maybe you will want to make a double batch! 🙂
HOW TO MAKE KETO MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP
This soup is ideal for a family dinner. You can make it on the stove, in the slow cooker, or in the instant pot. Instant pot is my favorite way to prepare it.
First, saute the onion until translucent and caramelized. Gradually add peppers, jalapeno, and crushed garlic. Saute more and add other ingredients with chicken at the end. Cook it in the Instant pot for 25 minutes. If cooking on the stove you will need to cook it for 45 minutes or until the chicken is shreddable. When cooking in the slow cooker, cook it for 6 to 8 hours.
To finish it, just shred the chicken, put it back, and serve it with your favorite toppings.
LIKE AND SHARE!
Do you like my recipes? Please leave a comment and share to support my work!
Want to calculate your macros? I have an easy-to-use, and reliable KETO MACROS CALCULATOR!
- Olive oil 2 TBS
- 1 small onion 77g/2.7oz
- Garlic 2 - 3 cloves
- Red pepper finely chopped 120 g/4.23 oz
- Jalapeno green or yellow finely 110 g/3.88 oz
- Chopped tomatoes in tomato juice canned or fresh 1 can/400 g/14.11 oz
- Chicken broth or water 4 cups/600 ml
- Chicken breast 490 g/17.28 oz
- Oregano 1 TBS
- Paprika 1 TBS
- Powdered garlic ½ TBS
- Cumin ½ TBS
- Salt 1 tsp
- Pepper ½ tsp
- Keto tortilla chips
- Lime slices
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese (Monterey Jack)
- Heat the olive oil.
- Saute finely chopped onion until translucent, golden brown and caramelized.
- Add finely chopped red pepper and jalapeno, stir for 30 sec., and add garlic.
- Make some space for chicken, add whole chicken meat and brown it on each side for 20 seconds.
- Add broth or water, chopped tomatoes, salt and spices.
- Stir and set it to pressure cooking for 25 minutes.
- If cooking on the stove, cook 45 min., and in the slow cooker 6 to 8 hours.
- When cooked in the instant pot, release the pressure, take the chicken out to shred it. After shredding, put it back in the pot, stir and serve.
- Add some toppings - definitelly keto tortilla chips, avocado, slices of lime, and if you like you can add sour cream, shredded cheese and cilantro.
1. Always caramelize the onion first, the flavor will be rich and deep. When the onion is caramelized start adding other ingredients.
2. Use chicken breasts with the bone if possible, it will give more flavor, and it as tons of health benefits.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 6.65gNet Carbohydrates: 5.8gFiber: 0.85gProtein: 27g
This is the calculation without toppings and it is only for your information. Please calculate your own macros with the ingredients you use.