Rich and tasty keto pumpkin breakfast cake is low carb, gluten free, sugar free and full of flavor, enriched with fall spices. Delicious keto breakfast or dessert!
Keto pumpkin cake for breakfast
Cake for breakfast? Definitely yes when you have healthy keto pumpkin breakfast cake. This cake is gluten free, low carb, grain free, vintage pumpkin cake. It reminds on carrot cakes because I don't use pumpkin purée but grated pumpkin! Grated pumpkin has very similar structure as carrot and taste of this cake is very close to carrot cake. Only pumpkin cake is really low in carbs.
Old fashioned pumpkin cake
This pumpkin cake is old fashioned, without flour and with ground almonds. Almond are the best if you grind them in a food processor or with hand grinder. But don't make it really fine. It's the best if you have some bigger chunks of almonds too. I used to make this cake for many years, and I am not sure how and from where I get this recipe, but it's delicious and with my family for many years.
Spices that goes with pumpkin are definitely vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and rum. I just have to put those spices and essences into my pumpkin cake. My whole house smells divine! I really like autumn and everything related to autumn. That's why I enjoy those spices and pumpkins, they remind on autumn so much. 🍁 🎃
Cream cheese icing
This low carb pumpkin vintage cake is really tasty, flavorful and moist. Honestly, you don't need any icing, however, it's always better to put that icing because it looks pretty. It's flavorful and yummy too! When I made this cake few days ago, my friend said - you will put cream cheese icing. I told her that I didn't plan because it's tasty even without. No, you have to! - She replies. And, voila! Pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing is here! And it's so good!
Tips for making keto pumpkin breakfast cake
Roasted ground almonds - it's the best if you have whole almonds and grind them yourself. I recommend you to roast them for few minutes in a pan or in the oven before grinding. Taste is so much better, and totally worth of few minutes of extra effort. You can grind them in food processor or with a hand grinder.
Coarsely grated pumpkin
It's the best if you grate the pumpkin coarsely, on the same way you would prepare a carrot for a carrot cake. You can use hand grater or a food processor.
Red currants in keto cake
I like to add red currants because of that nice red festive color. This cake gets some special, more elegant look with red currants. Like a keto cake you would make for Christmas or a Thanksgiving. Red currants are quite low in carbs so you can add them freely to your cake.
Baking the keto cake
I bake his cake in preheated oven on 160 C/320 F with vent for 1 H. It depends on your oven, so maybe you will be done before or you will maybe need extra 3o minutes. It's the best way to check from time to time, and here is a great way to check if your cake is baked.
I hope you will like this rich low carb pumpkin cake. If you are thinking about some family friendly main keto dish, try my recipe for fried keto cauliflower rice. I have other really delicious cakes, so you might try this peanut butter cheesecake bars with crispy crust.
If you like my recipe, please leave a comment, it means a lot! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram, and stay on source of great family friendly keto recipes! If you are interested in free online course about essential oils use in cooking, drop me an email to [email protected]
- 5 M eggs
- Low carb sweetener (erythritol) ⅔ cup
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- Rum extract 1 tsp
- Melted coconut oil ½ cup/100 ml
- Roasted almond meal/roasted ground almonds (⅓ should be coarsely grounded and the rest finely) 3 cups/440 g/15.5 oz
- Cinnamon 1 tsp
- Ginger 1 pinch
- Nutmeg ¼ tsp
- Salt 1 pinch
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Coarsely grated pumpkin 3.5 cups/400 g/14 oz
- Finely shredded coconut ⅔ cup/50 g/1.8 oz
- Red currants (fresh or frozen) ⅔ cup/80 g/2.8 oz
- Ingredients for cream cheese icing
- Cream cheese or mascarpone cheese 1 cup/250 g/8.8 oz
- Powdered low carb sweetener 3 TBS
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- Edible lemon essential oil 2 drops
- Preheat oven to 160 C/320 F.
- Whisk the eggs with low carb sweetener, vanilla and rum extract.
- Gradually add melted coconut oil, baking powder, pinch of salt, spices, ground almonds, grated pumpkin, finely shredded coconut and at the end gently mix in red currants.
- Pour the mixture in a cake tray layered with a parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 160 C/320 F with vent for 1 h or until it's baked. You can use toothpick test.
- When baked, leave it to cool completely and put the icing on top when cooled.
- Keep it in the fridge. It can stay in the fridge for a week.
- How to make keto cream cheese icing?
- Whisk cream cheese or mascarpone cheese with powdered low carb sweetener and 2-3 drops of edible lemon essential oil until nicely combined and smooth.
This cake is for round cake baking tray of 24 cm/9 inch diameter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 23.5gNet Carbohydrates: 3.26gProtein: 8.15g
This is for your information only, please calculate your own macros with ingredients you use.