Wild boar joint stewing steak is flavorful and nutritious meat cut. Tender and juicy wild boar meat with colorful and delicious low carb vegetable mix.
Steak of a wild boar is one of the most nutritious meat parts you can find. Carnivores and keto people will love this amazing dish for sure.
Is wild hog meat good to eat?
Currently I live in a colorful continental part of Croatia, Baranja. It’s actually a birdwatcher’s and hunters paradise. There is a huge wild animal population and wild boar meat is very often on the tables here. And I like it!
This time I decided to prepare a wild boar joint meat as a steak. Wild boar meat is not like a pork meat as most people think. It’s flavorful and very lean, completely different than the pork.
Tips to prepare perfect wild boar joint stewing steak
When you prepare a wild boar meat on this way it will be juicy and tender. Wild hog/boar meat is very lean so it can become dry when cooked. That’s why you need to be careful and cook it for a bit longer time than cooking your usual beef steak.
Definitely, it will be worth of your effort! You will get super nutritious meal, rich in flavor and vitamins.
Joint of a wild boar needs longer cooking, preferably in a slow cooker or covered on a very low heat in the oven.
I like to use wild boar joint trimmed and cut in steaks. On that way you can prepare it in significantly less time and make it delicious!
Low carb veggies with meat
To prepare this dish in low carb or keto way, use some low carb veggies. I use some onion, peppers and celery staples. Of course, I had to add a little carrot in this dish. Carrot is small so it won’t raise the carbs so much but it will add so much to authenticity of this low carb meal.
That vegetable mix is great flavorful combination that elevates meat flavor and perfectly goes together.
As a side dish I like to serve some steamed or cooked broccoli with a spoon of a grass fed butter and veggies cooked with meat.
Keto cast iron cooking
In my keto kitchen, cast iron is very important! Very often I cook some meat or veggies in my cast iron on the stove and finish in the oven.
That technique is perfect for wild boar joint steaks. To make them tender it’s the best to cook them on on the stove for few minutes on a very high heat first. That way you prevent juice to go out from the meat while cooking. That’s how this delicious meat will stay juicy.
Finishing the meat in the oven will make it tender. This meat should be finished slowly because it will become dry if cooking fast.
If you do this properly you will definitely have a feast of great nutritious food.
Try my keto recipes!
You might try this keto cauliflower gnocchi with flavorful wild boar steaks. It will go perfectly! If you wish to have some really delicious keto dessert, try my pecan pie cheesecake. I am getting fantastic comments on that recipe.
Enjoy cooking and eating!
- Wild boar joint steaks 300 g/11 oz
- Olive oil or lard 2 TBS
- Onion 70 g/2.5 oz
- Fresh red pepper cut in cubes 100 g/7 oz
- Little carrot cut in cubes 50 g/1.7 oz
- 2 celery stalks cut in cubes 100 g/7 oz
- Beef broth or water 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Ground red paprika 1 tsp
- Dried basil 1/2 tsp
- Side dish
- Broccoli 400 g/14 oz
- Butter 2 TBS
- Salt to taste
- Optional freshly ground pepper to taste
- Turn on the oven to 170 C/340 F.
- Heat olive oil or lard in cast iron and put steaks on hot oil or lard.
- Season the steaks with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side just to see golden brown color on the edges of the meat.
- Remove the steaks and set them aside.
- On remaining lard or olive oil add onion cut in cubes and sauté until golden and translucent.
- Add carrot cut in little cubes, red pepper and celery stalks, all cut in little cubes of similar size. Stir well, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and ground paprika. Stir and add 2 cups of beef broth.
- Put back steaks and cook everything in a preheated oven on 170 C/340 F for 45 minutes uncovered or until meat is tendered and the broth is reduced. During cooking you can turn the steaks 1-2 times.
- Steam or cook broccoli and when finished add 2 TBS of butter on top.
- Serve the steaks with broccoli or another side dish and veggies cooked with steaks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 12.7gCarbohydrates: 7.23gNet Carbohydrates: 5.57gFiber: 1.66gProtein: 23.2g
This is for your information only, please calculate your own macros with ingredients you use.