Okra beef stew is delicious low carb keto comfort meal with okra or bamia. This is Mediterranean, Balkan way to prepare beef and okra stew.
I live in Croatia, but I have strong connection with neighboring Bosnia and especially with Bosnian cuisine. This meal is inspired with Mediterranean and Bosnian traditions combined with my personal touch.
Okra – healthy low carb vegetable
One of the ingredients very often used in Bosnia is okra. It’s interesting how we can’t even buy it in stores in Croatia. Fortunately my mum is growing okra, bamia or bamija, as we call it here, in her garden. So I decided to make this delicious okra stew with beef as a fusion of Bosnian & Mediterranean keto style dish.
Okra or bamia is great for keto stews, sauces or meat soups because it is thickening. On keto you can’t use starch or flour for thickening so this is great low carb and healthy alternative. So you get delicious, thick, hearty meal, especially in combination with slow cooked meat that is falling apart.
I use fresh okra from the garden but you can use frozen or even canned if it’s available to you. I like to cut it in small pieces and cook it for a long time with chopped onion, red pepper and beef. As long as you cook it, the taste is better. You can cook it in a slow cooker or instant pot.
Tips to prepare okra beef stew
You need to sauté onion first. Sautéed onion is giving special aroma and that’s the base for this type of stew. Even if you count every carb, don’t skip this part of the recipe. Sautéed onion flavor is irreplaceable.
I use ground paprika and turmeric. Turmeric is anti inflammatory spice, great for fall and winter dishes. There is a pinch of powdered garlic and a pinch of cinnamon. Cinnamon is also warming spice. I connect it with fall and winter and they say it’s great support to immunity.
Slow cooking or instant pot
You can cook old fashioned way on the stove for at least 1 hour or you can use your slow cooker or instant pot. Usually I use instant pot. I work and I have small children so Instant pot is my way to eat freshly cooked meals every day.
How to serve keto okra beef stew?
If you’re on low carb or keto diet or a lifestyle, I recommend you to serve this delicious comfort stew with this cauliflower mash with boiled eggs. This will be delicious combination and my whole family love this. Cauliflower mash with boiled eggs is so good, even the biggest potato mash worshippers love it!
- Olive oil 2 TBS
- Onion 100 g/3.5 oz
- Beef meat cubes 400 g/14 oz
- Okra cut in small pieces 120 g/4.23 oz
- Red paprika cut in small pieces 85 g/3 oz
- Tomato 100 g/3.5 oz
- Water or beef broth 2 cups (to cover the meat)
- Red ground paprika 1 TBS
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch of powdered garlic
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil and add chopped onion.
- Sauté chopped onion until golden brown and translucent.
- When onion golden brown, add beef meat cubes a stir until browned.
- Add okra pieces and red pepper pieces and stir.
- Pour canned tomato, stir well and add 2 cups of water or beef broth.
- Stir everything, add salt, pepper, powdered garlic, red paprika and turmeric, stir well and cook covered.
- If cooking on the stove, cook for at least 1 hour on medium low heat and occasionally stir.
- If cooking in the instant pot, cook on high pressure for 35 - 45 minutes. Longer is better. If you cook it longer meat will fall apart in thick okra sauce.
- Serve with cauliflower mash and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 22gCarbohydrates: 7.23gNet Carbohydrates: 5.23gFiber: 2gProtein: 27g
This is for your information only, please, calculate your own macros with ingredients you use.