Ground beef hash in a skillet Balkan style is low carb, keto, gluten free delicious dinner or breakfast. This is family friendly one skillet dish.
I love this type of food that you can make quickly in one skillet only. I had some ground beef in my fridge so I decided to use it. As in every proper keto fridge, I have always some bacon and eggs there.
Last week I was in Belgrade, so when I got home, I was still under the influence of the food I ate there. It’s Balkan style cooking with a lot of paprika and feta cheese.
I don’t have to explain you how good the result was! We had a perfect keto dinner.
Grilled peppers for great taste!
I live in very rural part of Croatia, Baranja and people here are growing veggies a lot. In the autumn I bought from my neighbors a huge amount of red peppers. We baked them outside on the grill, peeled them and freeze. So now, whenever I need pepper I just take some from my freezer.
I like to support my neighbors on that way, but most importantly I feed my family with healthy food. Peppers in season are so much more tasty than what you find out of the season. And, if you can grill them, OMG! It’s heavenly taste!
Don’t worry if you don’t have homegrown peppers because this recipe for ground beef hash will work with peppers from the supermarket too. This is so flavorful dish because of all these delicious ingredients, especially feta cheese. That cheese makes huge difference.
Tips to make delicious Balkan style ground beef hash
Feta cheese is ingredient that makes this ground beef hash recipe so special. It gives special Balkan twist in combination with peppers and meat. Plus if you use lard or olive oil with stronger taste, you will get authentic flavor.
Sauté onion until translucent and golden, it will give so much aroma to this dish. Sautéd onion is a staple of many Balkan style meals so don’t skip this part.
Eggs with runny yolks on top are so delicious. You can cook it longer if you don’t like runny yolk, but trust me, it’s so good!
Serve it hot with some diced parsley on top. It will look and taste great and parsley is so popular here, we put it everywhere. 🙂
Check my other recipes!
If you like one skillet dishes, check my recipe for pork chops with mushrooms. For keto dessert, I recommend you one of my most popular recipes – keto pecan pie cheesecake. You will love it, I’m sure!
- Lard or olive oil 1 TBS
- Finely sliced bacon 50 g/1.77 oz
- Onion 70 g/2.47 oz
- Ground beef 450 g/1 lb
- Mushrooms 200 g/7 oz
- Red pepper chopped 1 cup/150 g/5.3 oz
- Cottage cheese 2 TBS/20 g/0.7 oz
- Feta cheese 3 TBS/30 g/1 oz
- 2 large eggs
- Powdered garlic 1/2 tsp
- Ground smoked paprika 1 tsp
- Salt 1.5 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried basil 1 tsp
- Chilli pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Fry bacon on a hot lard and when start to be translucent add finely chopped onion.
- When onion is translucent, add ground beef and stir occasionally until golden brown.
- When beef is golden brown add mushrooms and finely chopped red peppers or capsicum and stir.
- Season with salt, pepper, ground red paprika, dried basil, powdered garlic and chili to taste, stir and cook until mushrooms are wilted.
- Add cottage cheese and feta cheese, stir well and cook for few minutes with occasional stirring until the majority of water from veggies and cheese is gone.
- Put on top 2 or more eggs and cook it covered until eggs are cooked to your taste.
- Garnish with finely diced parsley.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 32gCarbohydrates: 5.58gNet Carbohydrates: 4.84gFiber: 1.01gProtein: 21g
This is for your information only, please calculate macros with ingredients you use.