Keto zucchini breakfast carbonara is nutritious, creamy and cheesy family friendly low carb breakfast. Eggs, olive oil, bacon and zucchini are perfect for delicious keto meal on budget.
My readers often ask about cooking keto on budget. Special struggle is around breakfast. The key is in eggs, bacon and adding seasonal vegetables. There are always some keto friendly veggies in season.
Because it’s zucchini season and we have our homegrown zucchini. I like to use them as much as possible for breakfast, lunch or dinner so I include them whenever possible. Zucchini (courgette) is low carb and low calorie vegetable so it’s perfect for keto recipes. Sometimes it’s incredible how tasty zucchini could be. You can try my Balkan style keto stuffed peppers where I use zucchini instead of traditional rice, and taste is amazing! I have also sheet pan zucchini fritters recipe on my blog, that’s one you should try!
Nutritious keto breakfast
Traditionally they prepare carbonara with pasta or if they use zucchini in low carb versions they make zoodles. I find zoodles not so practical in carbonara because they are never coated with eggs as I would like them to be. Also, pasta normally soak some of the sauce and zoodles can’t soak, they even release some water. Another thing is that you cannot remove the water from the zoodles enough for carbonara. I don’t like to eat zucchini noodles separated from the egg sauce.
That’s why I grate zucchini. On that way zucchini carbonara is smooth and creamy, and taste is fantastic!
TIPS TO PREPARE DELICIOUS & CREAMY KETO ZUCCHINI BREAKFAST CARBONARA
Grate your zucchini!
OK, if you insist you can make zoodles but believe me, grated zucchini works better with carbonara sauce. You want it to be creamy. You want to have all ingredients in one delicious bite. It’s true, zoodles are awesome for some keto zucchini pasta recipes. I use zoodles with my keto ragu bolognese sauce and it’s fantastic! But with carbonara I vote for grated zucchini. I know, some people will roll the eyes about this idea. So what? Zucchini just act as your pasta, you can have it in any shape you like!
Squeeze grated zucchini
After you grate your zucchini, drain it well. First grate, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, leave it for few minutes until you prepare other ingredients and squeeze all the excess water with your hands. As much as you can because you don’t need that extra water.
Use parmesan cheese
At the end you just need to use Parmigiano cheese to thicken carbonara with zucchini. That’s important also for the flavor. Parmesan gives special flavor to quite neutral eggs and zucchini.
Olive oil drizzle
I like to drizzle my portion of carbonara with some great quality extra virgin olive oil. In Croatia we have delicious olive oil, and my favorite is Istrian olive oil with a very strong flavor. I am aware that some people don’t like olive oil so you can use some nice butter instead.
I have more awesome recipes on my blog! Check my keto peanut butter cheesecake bars or my keto blondies! These keto desserts are super tasty and really easy to make! For more keto breakfast options, check why my 90 second keto bread is most popular 90 second bread recipe!
Enjoy this delicious keto breakfast!
- Olive oil 2 TBS for cooking + 1 TBS to drizzle on top
- Bacon or pancetta 110 g
- Grated zucchini well drained 3 cups/340 g
- 6 M eggs
- Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup + 1 TBS for the top
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grate zucchini and drain it well. Squeeze it with your hands to remove as much as water possible.
- Whisk the eggs and slice pancetta or bacon fine.
- Heat olive oil and fry finely sliced bacon or pancetta.
- Remove the bacon on a plate and add zucchini on remaining oil, stir until wilted. If zucchini releases more water, stir until water disappears.
- When zucchini is wilted and dry enough add whisked eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine eggs with zucchini on medium heat. When eggs are just about to start crumbling, remove it from the heat because you wanted to stay creamy, and not like scrambled eggs.
- Add bacon and fat from the bacon from a plate, stir well.
- Add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir only to combine and serve warm.
- In each plate you can add a little bit more parmesan on top, freshly ground pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 33.4gCarbohydrates: 4.38gNet Carbohydrates: 3.31gFiber: 1.07gProtein: 26g
This is for your information only. Please calculate your own macros with ingredients you use.