When you roast duck in clay pot you get the most delicious and tender duck meat that is melting in your mouth with delicious crispy skin on top.
I just love using my clay pot, especially when colder days come and we roast bigger meat cuts more often. With colder days, usually festive season begins, and roast duck meat from the clay pot is the best thing ever.
One wonderful reason to roast duck in a clay pot, or other meat, is that you prepare it, set your oven properly and literally forget about it until your timer tells you that the feast can begin!
As a working mom who cooks regularly, I find this as a special advantage and this part is so important for me.
Duck meat, and that could be wild duck or just a regular duck from any farm that you have in your reach, is really tender and sensitive. It is very easy to burn it, to cook it too long or too short and to get it dry or chewy at the end. Roasting duck in a clay pot is a fantastic way to avoid all these possible issues. If you prepare it and set it properly you literally can’t go wrong!
Secrets and tips for the best roast duck in clay pot
Prepare your clay pot properly
Before putting the duck in a clay pot, while you’re removing remaining feathers and rubbing the meat with salt and spices, just add 500 ml of water in the clay pot and set it aside with the water in for at least 15 minutes. On this way you will prepare your pot for a proper roasting/cooking process. Because of this step your pot will last longer and the meat will come out evenly roasted and delicious.
Prepare duck meat for roasting to get crispy duck skin
To get a perfectly crispy duck skin, clean the duck properly, remove all the feathers (use tweezers). Heat the water in the kettle and keep the duck over the kitchen sink and gently pour hot water over the duck. Do it really gently to avoid destroying the skin and to avoid blisters on your own fingers. 🙂
I keep this duck recipe very simple in terms of spices I use. As you know, duck meat is very tender and sensitive and if properly prepared it has a wonderful structure and aroma. It is very easy to destroy it with too long roasting or with too many spices. So, I keep it simple, with just salt, pepper and a little bit of ground paprika. On the bottom of the clay pot I put just 100 ml water/1/2 cup, 2 or 3 whole cloves of garlic, just slightly crushed so that the essential oil with all the flavor could come out of garlic and give some of the flavor to duck, 1 unpeeled onion cut in half and 2 bay leaves. You may add a little carrot too.
If you prefer more festive flavor, you may add to your spice powdered garlic, cinnamon and all spice powder.
Duck roasting technique in clay pot
Place cleaned, prepared and seasoned duck in clay pot. On the bottom of the pot add 1/2 cup of water, garlic cloves, unpeeled onion, bay leaves and optional small carrot cut in few pieces.
On top of that put prepared duck, rubbed in seasoning with breasts turned up. You may roast it with breasts down too, but I find it much better when roasted with breast side turned up because than the skin on top is crispy and you get a nice servings of delicious meat with crispy duck skin on every serving.
Cover the clay pot and put it in the cold oven set to 180 C/350 F and when it reaches the temperature set it to 220 C/430 F. When it reaches 220 F/430 F, bake for 1.5 – 2 h without opening. If the duck is from 1.5 – 2 kg/53 oz – 70 oz, bake for 1.5 h, if it’s from 2 – 3 kg/70 oz – 105 oz, bake for 2h.
On this way roasting is so easy and if your oven has a timer, you can set it up and forget about the duck until it’s perfectly roasted with delicious crispy skin.
What keto side dishes to serve with roast duck?
I love this mashed cauliflower or cauliflower gnocchi, both goes perfectly with roasted meat. Also, these mushrooms with hazelnuts are fantastic to eat with roasted duck, especially for celebrations and a festive season.
If you prefer salads, you may go for this roasted pumpkin salad with goat cheese.
Any leafy green salad is fantastic with crispy duck roast, and of course everything with cabbage or red cabbage. That’s traditional way to serve the duck all around the Europe, during the winter and a festive season.
Looking for a delicious keto dessert?
If you’re planning some special dinner or you are preparing for a festive season, I recommend you one of these delicious keto desserts to try!
Keto coconut cream pie – must try keto recipe, so creamy and delicious dessert!
Pecan pie cheesecake – one of my most delicious and most loved keto desserts, perfect choice for celebrations!
Keto cookie dough cheesecake – fantastic keto cheesecake with edible cookie dough!
LIKE AND SHARE!
If you like my recipes, please leave a comment and share to support my work! Want to calculate your macros? I have an easy to use, and reliable keto macros calculator! Connect with me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and join my TELEGRAM CHANNEL. Scroll down and subscribe to my newsletter to get my recipes to your email!
- 1 whole duck 1.5-3 kg/53 oz - 105 oz (if frozen, must be thawed)
- Water 1/2 cup/100 ml
- 1 onion 70 g/2.5 oz, unpeeled and quartered
- 3 whole cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Little carrot (optional)
- SPICE RUB
- Salt 1 - 2 TBS (for the duck of 1.5 kg/53 oz I use 1 TBS)
- Powdered garlic 1 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper 10 grinds or more to taste
- Ground paprika 2 tsp
- OPTIONAL SPICES
- Powdered all spice 1/2 tsp
- Powdered cinnamon 1/2 tsp
PREPARE CLAY POT
- Add 500 ml of water in the clay pot and set it aside to rest with the water in for at least 15 minutes. On this way you will prepare your pot for proper roasting/cooking process. Remove the water before adding ingredients for duck roasting.
- Clean the duck and remove all the remaining feathers (use tweezers).
- Heat the water in the kettle.
- Keep the duck over the kitchen sink and gently pour hot water from the kettle over the duck. Do it really gently to avoid destroying the duck skin and to avoid blisters on your own fingers.
- Leave the duck for few minutes and rub it with prepared spice rub.
- On the bottom of the clay pot put 1/2 cup of water/100 ml, 2 or 3 whole cloves of garlic, just slightly crushed so that the essential oil with all the flavor could come out of garlic, 1 unpeeled onion cut in half or quarters, and 2 bay leaves. You may add a little carrot too.
- On top of everything put seasoned duck with duck breasts side up.
- Cover the clay pot and put it in a cold oven set to 180 C/350 F.
- When the oven reaches the temperature, increase the temperature to 220 C/430 F and after reaching the temperature, roast covered, without opening for 1.5 h to 2 h (depending on duck weight). For duck of 1.5 - 2 kg/53 oz -70 oz roast for 1.5 hour, duck of 2 kg - 3 kg/70 oz - 105 oz roast for 2 h).
- When done duck meat should be tender and falling apart and duck skin crispy and golden brown.
- Well done roasted duck remove from the pot, cut in pieces and serve with your favorite mash or salad.
- From the juice on the bottom you can prepare the gravy or just pour a little bit of juice over the cut meat.
Serving size of 1 roast duck serving is around 140 g/5 oz or around 1 cup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 40gCarbohydrates: 0gProtein: 27g
This is for your information only, please calculate your own macros according to your needs.